Wednesday November 26, 2014
Contact us

ThisOldGuy.com

Storage Building Gable Vent Project

How I Built Vents for My Storage Shed


Our storage shed has vents in the end gables, but they are small and do not allow for much air flow.

On hot, sunny days the temperature inside the building is really uncomfortable for anything other than a fast trip in and right back out.

I have considered putting a gable mounted power vent in the shed to reduce the heat inside on hot days, so these larger vents will allow me to do that if the increased air flow from the new vents alone doesn't help with the high temperatures.



The side pieces have been cut, rabbet joints sawed in for the corners, and dados for the vent slats. This will make an extremely rigid assembly.

Obviously rabbets and dados would not be necessary to build this small vent, but the extra work required is minimal and the finished product will be neater, easier to assemble, and much stronger.



The rabbet joints and dados were sawed using a radial arm saw. With only a few cuts to make, it is quicker and easier to saw them by making multiple passes than it is to set up a dado blade. It only takes a few seconds to cut each one by making the cut and sliding the piece over about the width of the saw blade and passing the saw over the stock again. I marked both edges of the cut and continued making cuts until I reached the end of the slot.

The rabbets are being cut in this photo.



The same method is used here to cut dados for the vent slats. Test fit using one of the slats or a scrap of the same material to get a nice snug fit.



The slats have a 45 degree bevel cut along the front edge so they will fit flush with the front edge of the vent frame.



The first vent after it was assembled. I used glue and screws to hold the pieces together. They are extremely sturdy.



The second vent has also been assembled. The face frames have been cut and glued and nailed to the vent frames. The corners were mitered for a neat fit.



A closer view of the assembled vent.

After the unit is stained to match the shed, I'll attach some screen and hardware cloth over the inside to keep bees out.



The vents after the stain and sealer have been applied. Almost done!



The back side showing the screen after it was stapled in place.

The only thing left to do now is to remove the old vent covers from the shed and cut the hole roughly 3 times larger to fit the new vent. I attached my vents with screws by first drilling the siding and then running screws into the back side of the face frames from inside the shed. This way nothing shows from the outside.